Local historiography tells us that “Villa Ciconia” was originally a Roman tower,“La Turchinetta”, and was property of “Monaldeschi” of Cervara married with Catherina of Sweden. This enlargement was commissioned to Ippolito Scalza (1532 – 1618) by the then owner of the tower Vincenzo Butius.
Butius, suffering from bad health, was advised by doctors to live near a river, the first airconditioning. The villa was built, so that the Carcaione stream ran under one of the arches which upheld the structure. River deposits, with time, submerged the ground floor and therefore the “piano nobile”- is now on the first floor.
A careful renovation, while providing every comfort, it has maintained the characteristics (thick walls, large wooden beams, terracotta floors), the atmosphere, and character, the quiet.
Download the complete Ciconia’s history in pdf, click on the following:
storie nella storia